California Armed Security Guard Licensing Requirements
The state of California requires that an applicant applying for an armed security license has completed 40 hours of certified training, and in order to keep their license current will take an 8-hour refresher course. This certified course is required to include: Eight hours of training in the power to arrest.
The Department of Consumer Affairs, Bureau of Security and Investigative Services mandate the guidelines and regulations for the California armed security license. Other requirements that will need to be fulfilled to keep the California armed security license current after being issued are:
- Sixteen hours of training will need to be completed within the first month of employment
- Sixteen hours of training completed within six months of employment
Requirements that are to be completed by the armed security guard in the state of California for a license to be issued will include:
- The applicants must be at least 18 years of age to apply for a license
- Applicants will provide state photo identification
- The applicant will need to be able to legally work in the United States
- Fingerprints will be submitted
- There will be an FBI style background check
- Applicants will not have serious criminal convictions including felonies
The armed guard will complete firearm training that will consist of 14 hours, 8 of these hours will be classroom training and 6 hours will be range time. The other regulations that affect the California armed security guard is the applicant must qualify twice per year in order to keep their firearms license current. This license is issued for periods of two years, the same as the security guard license.
The 40 hours of training will include education to prepare the armed security guard for situations that can occur on the job and how to deal with emergency situations that can occur.
The California security guard classes will include educational classes that will prepare the security guard to work in different fields in the security sector. The educational classes will include:
- Public relations
- Legal and liability issues
- Criminal detainment
- Search and seizures
- Evacuation procedures
- Crowd control
- Radio and alarm procedures
- Mandatory 8 hours of terrorism awareness, weapons of mass destruction and the power to make arrests.
The education that is completed will enable the armed security guard to work in many jobs of the security sector, and they can include:
- Banks and financial institutions
- Government buildings and courthouses
- Museums and art galleries
- Armored vehicles
- Schools and colleges
These are a sample of the places the California licensed armed security guard will find for employment. The armed security guard license once applied for with all of the requirements completed, will be issued and receive the permanent license good for two years. The license will be issued from the Department of Consumer Affairs, Bureau of Security and Investigative Services within 90 days. The license and requirements are pursuant to Division 3, Chapter 11.5 code section 7583.6, which details all requirements that applicants must fulfill and licensing procedures.