Licensing as a Security Guard in Louisiana is managed by the Louisiana State Board of Private Security Examiners. In order to attain your armed Security Officer license you will have to complete state required armed Security Guard training in order to be hired by a licensed agency before appearing at the Board for processing. The armed Security Guard license must be renewed every year and must be valid throughout your period of employment.
If you’ve determined that you would like to get your Louisiana armed security guard license here are the basic requirements to be met by the registrant:
- Must be at least 21 years of age
- Must be a citizen of the United States.
- Must file with the Board a complete application accompanied by an application fee.
- Must provide a set of fingerprints on a standard FBI fingerprint card.
- Must have a valid Social Security number.
- Must not have been convicted of any Felony; and/or misdemeanor involving the act of theft, drug offenses, or moral turpitude.
- Must meet and maintain the qualifications set and approved by the Board.
Some of the topics to be covered in the state required armed Security Officer training course are:
- Legal limitations on use of firearms
- Handling of a firearm
- Fundamentals of shooting
- Selection of proper ammunition
- Civil liability & use of force issues
- Low light firing
- Stress factors
- Proper techniques for storage, loading and unloading a handgun
- Handgun marksmanship
- Care and maintenance of firearms
- Other required armed Security Guard training
Louisiana is a great place to start your career and the first steps are your security guard license and security guard training. Become a vital part of the community – with our Louisiana Security Jobs Board, you’ll see how many doors proper security licensing can open.
Louisiana State Board of Private Security Examiners