Licensing as a Security Guard in the “Constitution State” Connecticut is managed by the Connecticut State Police. In order to attain your unarmed Security Officer license you will have to complete state required Security Guard training. The unarmed Security Guard license must be renewed every 5 years and must be valid throughout your period of employment.
If you’ve determined that you would like to get you Connecticut unarmed security guard license here are the basic requirements to be met by the registrant:
- Must be at least 18 years of age.
- Applicants for Connecticut Security Officer Certification Identification Card must complete a course of instruction approved by the Commissioner of Emergency Services and Public Protection.
- Must not have been convicted of a felony, any sexual offense or any crime that would tend to question the honesty and integrity of the person.
- Must meet and maintain the qualifications set and approved by the Commissioner of Emergency Services and Public Protection.
The process for get your Connecticut Security Guard license is as follows:
- The order that you complete each step is entirely up to you and/or your employer. You may either take the class, test and then submit your application to Professional Licensing Section OR you may submit your application to Professional Licensing Section then take the class and the test. The class and test certificates must be submitted to Professional Licensing within 30 days of the application date or you will need to start the entire process over. This is an SBI policy that fingerprints are valid for only 30 days.
- Taking the 16 hour mandatory class is part of the process to become licensed as a security guard
- Contact one of the Del Tech campuses to schedule a date/time to take the mandatory test. Complete this class and obtain the signed training certification from your instructor – this is your entrance to the test. You MUST complete the class before taking the test.
- Upon completion and passing the test, DTCC will give you a certificate.
- Fill out the security guard application completely. Determine which location you wish to go for fingerprinting, Troop 2 by appointment only and Dover is a walk-in basis.
- Once you submit your application, have your fingerprints/ photo taken and pay the processing fee, it will take a minimum 2 weeks for your criminal history to be completed, however it may take longer due to individual factors.
- Must pay a non-refundable processing fee of $89.00, via cash, certified check, Visa, Master Card, Discover, company check, or money order.
- Once approved your ID card will be mailed to the address that is on the application. It is EXTREMELY IMPORTANT that you put the complete and correct address, to include apartment number, etc.
- If you are denied, a certified notification will be sent to the address on the application and a copy will go to the agency to which you are applying.
- Applicants re-applying for their license should start this process more than one month before their current valid ID card expires.
Some of the topics to be covered in the Connecticut 8 hour Security Officer training course are:
- Legal issues and Liability
- Use of force continuum
- Other Required Security Guard Training
Connecticut is a great place to start your career and the first steps are your security guard license and security guard training. Become a vital part of the community – with our Connecticut Security Jobs Board, you’ll see how many doors proper security licensing can open.
Connecticut State Police